Blockade and Grenndal here. Blockade found a challenge while wandering the internet from our fellow hobbyist Azazel - The August Technical Painting Challenge. We're both going to be working on improving part of our technical skills. Here's the example list taken from his site.
Technical Skill Examples
- using washes or drybrushing
- freehand designs – icons, tattoos, embroidery, animal hide and fur patterns
- working with metallics
- using those colour shift paints that GreenStuffWorld released
- heat effects – “internal flame” glow, metal heat discolouration, etc
- magical/spell/energy effects, plasma glow…
- using the gemstone paints or any other of the newish lines of technical or clear or transparent paints from Citadel, Vallejo, Army Painter, etc – from clear red to rust.
- freehanding gems or lenses
- OSL (object source lighting)
- wet blending
- creating or painting standards and banners
- wire work – aerials or replacing weapon shafts or…
- zenithal highlighting
- using clump foliage
- water effects
- making trees or other foliage
- using decals
- modelling using clear resin
- achieving patinas
- weathering effects, including weathering powders
- edge highlighting
- vehicle weathering
- basing techniques
Blockade - I want to focus on weathering using pigments, drybrushing, and heat damage effects. Because I have a chunk of neglected vehicles that are either half painted or barely primed, I plan to practice on them. So the goal will be, by the end of August, for me to be able to show off a newly weathered vehicle (or three), using weathering powders and such.
|Oh Poor Neglected Artillery Pieces|
Grenndal - I plan on working on adding some decals to my space marines. I have a whole army of primaris marines that I wanted to add decals to but I have been to scared to even try it. By the end of the month, I would like all of my marines to have the shoulder icon placed. from what I have seen it doesn't look to hard. I just need to take a leap.
|Look at than naked shoulder pad! So sad!|
So stay tuned to the blog for updates and maybe some tutorials.
Blockade Out! Nom nom nom!