Monday, June 4, 2018

Showcase: Cauldron of Blood



This weekend I was pretty busy.  The first project I worked on was my Cauldron of Blood.  



I thought that May's goal was to add a hero to my army but it actually was just the Start Collecting box (or equivalent).  In June the goal is to add a hero.  With the completion of the Cauldron and Slaughter Queen I have completed my goal and I am only 4 days in. Woot!


This model was a pretty tough model to paint.  If I knew then what I know now about the gold I used, I would have picked a different color.  It just does not flow well and any diluting of it waters down the pigment leaving a dull yellow not a shiny gold.  If anyone can suggest a replacement for Auric Armor Gold I will be happy to try it out.


Next up I wanted to make a decent pool of blood in the cauldron itself.  Many people suggested Blood for the Blood God (BFTBG).  I put down a layer of deep red then highlighted it with a brighter red and finised it off with the BFTBG.  I like the result.


The avatar had a bunch of details to work though. Every time I look at him I see more spots to work on.  While I consider the Cauldron done, I feel like I will be touching it up for a while as I notice more details that are not right.

In the end I am glad to call it done.  I will probably want another one to run as a shrine.  Let me know what you think.


Comments? Questions? Hissssssssssss!