Thursday, January 25, 2018

WIP: Primaris Repulsor

Work continues on the Primaris Repulsor. I have given it a base coat and have started laying down the basic colors.

I started by painting the main body teal. I don't have a airbrush so I used thin coats of paint with a half inch brush. I made sure to go is multiple directions to help hide any brushstrokes. I am not sure how many coats it took but I finally got an nice even coverage.

Once that was completed, I worked on the exposed metal areas. My main goal with this step is to paint all the large pieces like the grav panels, exhaust, and engines copper. I will go back and hit the fine details, view ports,Aquila, and pipes, in a later step. After that was done I switched to the Purple.  While working on this step, I decided to add the Mechanicum symbol to the doors.



Using the side dunecrawler's weapon system, I used some instant mold on the symbol there to make a mold. After that I used some green stuff to make a couple of symbols. Once these cured, I trimmed then up, sanded them down, and glued them in place. I can now finish painting the doors.




So far, while painting this model I have learned a few lessons for the second Repulsor. The most important lesson was that I shouldn't have glued on the grav panels. With these in place, it is difficult to get to certain areas to paint. Next time, I will leave these off and paint them separately and add them on later. This way I will be able to get to those hard to reach places.

Another lesson was that an airbrush would be handy when doing large models. This is not a revelation but getting the nice even coverage is a lot harder doing it manually. Knowing this, I still doubt I will invest in one. First of all they are not cheap and they are not plug and play. To use one I would need both time and money to invest in one. Still it would be nice for this project and my upcoming fire raptor. Maybe I can get a buddy to spray the base coat if I provide the paint. That might be the best of both worlds.

That is where I stand right now with the Repulsor. I will continue to work on it in hope to have it done early February. I will also need to start on my Squaduary project next week and I I can't forget the actual pledge of hellblaster to finish next month as well. There is still a lot to do in February.

Questions? Comments? Cawl's will be done!