Friday, September 6, 2013

Tyranid rumor Reaction - everything else

Yesterday I talk about the rumors I heard on HQ's and Elites.  I heard some of them were made up.  Specificly the ones about the prime and the venomthrope named characters. I really was not impressed with those rumors. Just remember, with all rumors, until you see it in print in a codex or official faq there is a chance for it not to be true. So, with that disclaimer, let's continue our journey through the units.


Troops
Models:
•             Termagant (recut for more options: Spike rifles and Strangleweb, curled tails, Rippers no longer on sprues)

I already have a bunch of these guys.  I doubt I will want many more.  If they make the other options worth the points maybe I will switch over but until I catch up all my other armies this is one box that will be staying on the shelves for me.

Rules:
•             Termagants gain fleet

An interesting update.  It is not game changing though.  I do like those rerolls though.

Dedicated Transport
Models:
•             Mycetic Spore: Kit also makes Mycetic Hive Node model. Bell of Lost Souls said the following baout the new model:
•             -It is an enormous creature, with an immense abdomen/transport sac, that spills over the sides of a standard oval base.
-It has tiny vestigial arms similar to a Zoanthropes, and a head with a tentacle ringed maw.
-The giant abdomen/sac looks swollen, and has internal protuberances looking like Tyranid creatures are stretching the skin from within, about to rip their way out...
-It has forward arms options that can be upgraded for various biomorph/weapon options.
-The secondary creature build option replaces the abdomen/sac with something entirely different.

Yea Spore pod model.  No more soda cans, foot balls, paper mache eggs, and dragon toy pods for us to shake our head at.  Ok so at least we can officially make fun of them.

Rules:
Mycetic Spore:
•             Special Characters may join broods in pod
•             Monstrous Creature Broods may take Mycetic Spore Pods

These are rules that we all complained about back when the last codex came out.  If they are true, YEA! If not, business as usual.

Fast Attack
Models:
•             Harpy: Looks like image in codex, and is roughly the size of a Heldrake. "Dual-combo kit" with Erinye.

It will be nice to finally get a harpy model.  Though I really doubt that I would ever use it.  What I am more sad about (or not so sad since I started to make my own) there is no news of shrike models.  Not even rumors of a upgrade bits pack T.T It is ok though since I like my versions well enough.

Rules:
Harpy:
•             Flying Monstrous Creature,
•             Vector Strike may either useSpore Min Cyst to create blasts along the path or Sonic Screech to half Initiative and causes a pinning test.
•             May purchase additional mines.
•             Stranglethorn Cannon may purchase new upgrades.
•             Designed to kill infantry hordes and provide support with its specialized Vector Strike
•             Can buy brood of Gargoyles to drop off during Movement phase on turn it doesn't Vector Strike

None of these really blow me away. Maybe the vector strike might be good if they do more than d3+1 attacks or is the cannon can get some ap2 shots.. more than likely it will be brought down easily and there goes all those points.

Raveners:
•             Red Terror is an upgrade character

Sounds good I have a model that I was going to use as a prime.  So YEA!!!

Heavy Support
Models:
•             None.

I am surprised that a big bug variant is not here.   

Rules:
Carnifex:
•             Base cost the same
•             Upgrades "much, much" cheaper
•             Upgrades have a number of "may only purchase 1"
•             Tusked: Hammer of Wrath gains an AP value
•             Thornback: Increases the number of Hammer of Wrath hits
•             Enhanced Senses: Night Fighting
•             Tail Scythe and Tail Mace: 1 hit to all models in base to base contact at Initiative 1, with different stats
•             Living Battering Ram: Changed to allow Carnifex to assault contents of a building/transport if it was destroyed by the Carnifex's charge on a 4+. Roll once per brood.
•             Old One Eye is an upgrade character
•             All the options in the box are usable again

Base cost is the same. Boo. Unless those upgrades are free I don’t see me using carnifexes.  I do like the hamer of wrath hits getting AP but if it is AP4 or higher forget buying it.  The scythe and mace are nice if you can last till I1.  With power weapons being ap3 and pot shots take wounds off and the use of grenades the fex usually doesn’t get to attack.  Then again I think most carnis forget close combat and are turned into gun platforms with brain-leech devourers.  I sometime run a screamer with the bio plasma shot in a drop pod but it usually is just a diversion tactic.  If I remember right I can get 2 squads of devil guants in pods for my one screamer in a pod.  Those guys usually can do a lot more damage.

Tyrannofex:
•             Points reduction.

Never been a fan.  I think it has something to do with the model and their point cose so maybe I will give it another shot…. Probably not.

New Codex Rules
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Altered FOC allows you to gain +1 Elite, +2 Troops, +1 Fast Attack +1 Heavy Support when you purchase a 3rd HQ Slot.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Only an HQ from the primary detachment may be chosen as the army's Warlord.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Two psychic powers lists: Devastation and Adaptation
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Devastation's Primaris: Warp Blast; Adaptation's Primaris: Onslaught (similar to Battle Focus)
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>All Tyranid Psychic Powers may be used with 1 or 2 Warp Charges, using more Warp Charges increases the effect
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Psychic ability is "a lot worse than it is now"
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Hive Fleets now have different rules (think Chapter Tactics from Codex: Space Marines).
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>The allied detachment may be a different hive fleet (it doesn't count as a different Hive Fleet, just similar evolutionary strains).
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Army wide FOC changes based on Hive Tyrant. Wings allow you to take Gargoyles as your compulsory Troops (max 2), Bonded Carapace lets Carnifexes be Elites and Heavy Supports (though there is a points cap on how much those Elite 'Fexes can cost). 
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Warriors may be taken as Sergeant Style upgrades for Gaunts and Gargoyles. They get the same biomorphs as the rest of the unit and are not attached like Wolf Guard. 
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Ravenous Advance: Units with this rule may run and assault in the same turn
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>The Ground Trembles: All Mounstrous creatures do D3 Hammer of Wrath hits.

So I have heard about the altered FOC and the Allying with another fleet.  It would be nice for low point games but I have been fine fitting in the current FOC with dual at 2k.  I would like to hear more about our psychic powers.  I have a feeling that it is “a lot worse than it is now” actually means worse for us nid players. Seeing that that got rid of the crazy psychic defense for elder I am not surprised that we got hit as well. The FOC changes baded on yrant sounds interesting but nothing special.  The Warrior sergeant might be interesting maybe throw one in a pod with some devilguants and I don’t have to worry aout getting synapse to those guants.  It is nice to give the big beasties more hammer of wrath hits. 

The biggest rumor that I want so much to be true which probably won’t be or the units I want it to be on wont have it is Ravenous Assault.  I can see my genestealers coming back or my raveners becoming much more deadly.  A possible 30” threat range is just too awesome.  Nom nom nom!

Wargear/Biomorphs:
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>"Really cool" adapatations for Skyfire
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Melee biomorphs contribute to models ranged ability
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Ranged biomorphs boost model's melee abilities.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Lash Whip now give -4I
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Bone Sword: "challenge weapon"
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Implant Attack: "challenge weapon"
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Regeneration: 5+ to regain wound at end of turn
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Alpha Regeneration: 4+ to regain wound at end of turn

I am not big on the Skyfire rules.  I am a bit curious what  “Really cool” means.  Without explaination the biomorph stuff is a mystery as well.  Lash whip change is disappointing unless it make you take guys below 1 and take them out of combat.  Then they might be interesting.  Lash whips for all shikes.  Time to hunt terminators!  I have no idea what a “Challenge Weapon” is. If they make them ap3 I will problaly go back to rending claws.  If the only work in a challenge then it is useless on shrikes.  I really am curious.  If the do nerf them I hope they get rid of the ID part and keep the no armor save part.

Lastly are the Regens. I always put regen on my big bugs.  So a better chance for regen is nice and the Alpha regen is sweet but with these increases I doubt they will be affordable.  Still got for 6 would models but on models without an invuln probably not.

So That is all the rumors I have for now.  I am sure as er get closer to the release date we will see more and more.  I probably won’t write about it again until the White Dwarf release.   Over all I like what I see. I have a ton of questions. The big one is can more units get flesh hooks? (come on genestealers!)  It will be a nice end of the “year of the bug” to bring out a new codex for them.  It is like I planned this year as a farewell to the old bugs.  I am sure they will get to see the table next year too unless 2014 is the Year of the Ork!  (poor tau will never get a chance lol)

Have a good weekend….

Questions? Comments? Nom nom noms?