Thursday, November 29, 2012

turning it up to 11..



Today is the last day of the 2 headed general league and I was lazy and I am going to use my army from week 3 found here.  What I want to talk about is my Tyranid list at 2k.  Now I hear a lot of people say that nids at 2k are great because you finally unlock 3 more precious elite slots.  I am here to tell you.  Elite slots are not the end all be all.  Lets take a look at my army and then discuss.

HQ
winged Tyrant - 2 TL devourers , 2 random biomancy powers,regen, warlord
Troops
Tervigon - Regen, catalyst
11 Genestealers – broodlord, toxin sacs
11 Genestealers – broodlord, toxin sacs
16 Termagant –devourer mycetic spore
Elite
Doom of Malan’tai – mycetic spore
8 Ymgarl Genestealer
3 hive guard
Fast attack
4 Ravener – rending claws, devourers
5 Ravener – rending claws, devourers

So we see I have used the usual 3 slots for elites switching out the tervigon from HQ to Troops.  I find he works better in that roll.  In reality he has been either ignored or difficult to shoot down.  The doom is still evil and has done a great job sucking the brains out of those it drops around.  I have been pretty lucky saving any S8 coming his way.  I like the full squad of hive guard to give me some anti tank.  I am thinking about dropping the Ymgarl for another set since they are close to the same points.  Really the only thing I like about the ymgarl is saying their name. ymgarl (makes me laugh every time)
I am really liking the Raveners, though I am still learning how to use them.  I have a hard time not treating them like genestealers setting them up on a flank but then forget that they are ld 6.  This is fine if they are left alone but if one of them is hit with S8 they will fall back and very likely off the board. Remember the feed behavior now just gives you rage ^_^
So far the list has done well.  I have mentioned adding in more hive guard while taking out the Ymgarl.  Another option I might try is a trygon or carnifex.  I like the screamer killer with bio-plasma option. Both of these options puts another big baddie on the table to soak up fire while my bugs run across the board to non non non.  The bioplasma is AP3 I do believe so it will help thin out the troops.  Another option would be a 3 man strong zonathope unit.  This will give me synapse support.  The question would be is what powers to use.  Warp blast and lance are pretty nice.  Maybe 1 of them can take the Telekinesis for some good buffs.  There is a lot to think about.
Let me know what you think…

Ymgarl. (Hehe)