Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday blues...

So the weekend is over and another 40k weekend tournament is in the books.  I didn't take photos or kept notes on the games so no battle reports  :( sorry.  I do have some thoughts on the raveners vs genestealer debate and I can can review how I did.



First off I was 2-1.  The one loss was all my fault.  I went second and knew we didn't have a next round but did not go after an objective on my last turn I tried to kill a Baal predator instead :(  I also spent time chasing Dante around trying to kill him with my tervigon.  I also didn't go with my ruling gut when my opponent as arguing that I needed to be in base contact with Dante himself to put wounds on him.  I then reread the rules last night and when characters join a group they are part of that group.  No more singling them out (except with precision hits) and any wounds on the squad he joins may be put on him if he is the closest target.  This could have won me the match but oh well.  Live and learn.

Sometimes I hate these tournaments.  The players that come try to cheat the system so much that people are easily bowled over.  Sometimes I spend more time looking up rules to prove I am right than actually enjoying the game. In the end I did get to play 3 games with my bugs.  They went home with their bellies full ready to make more babies >_<




Name
WS
BS
S
T
Wo
I
Melee
Range
Ld
Save
Move
Poison
Genestealer
6
0
4
4
11
6
33/22
0
10
5+
6
Yes
Broodlord
7
0
5
5
3
7
5/4
0
10
4+
6
Yes
Ravener
5
3
4
4
18
5
36/24
18
6
5+
12
no

So my last chart had some errors in it so I thought I would redo it so I can talk about these guys.  Now in the list I run I have 11 genestealers with a broodlord with toxin sac and rending claws for around 250pts and 6 raveners with rending claws and devourers for 240.

Lets go over the pros and cons for each unit. 

Genestealers


Pros
Cons
12 modes (small horde)
Lower movement
Poison
Has to roll for terrain
Higher WS
No shooting
Higher I
No rerolls on attacks
Higher LD
Harder to get cover for(larger group)
Doesn’t need Synapse

Psycher


Raveners


Pros
Cons
Faster
Dies faster to S8
Not hindered by terrain
No psycher
Has range attacks
Needs synapse or is not fearless
Rerolls 1 on attacks
Really low leadership
Easier to hide in terrain
Lower WS and I

With the broodlord the genestealers can gain a psychic power and has a better deny the witch roll.  Out of the 3 games my 2 broodlord got 2 witchfire attackes (useless), 2 enfeeble, 1 feel no pain ( Iforget the name) and 1 warp speed.  The enfeeble is nice as is the warp speed are handy making them more deadly and the feel no pain is awesome.  I really like having that ability on the genestealers but is it worth 3 more bodies?  For now it is I will have to come back to that question on a different day.

If we look at each units performances this weekend we can see how they compare.

Game 1
Opponent was a new player and was teaching a lot of the time. Only went 2 rounds.
Raveners moved up turn one, got shot at and took 2 wounds, moved shot and assaulted 10 wolf guard killing all of them.
Genestealer A moved and ran in turn 1, lost a few to shooting. moved up for turn 2 and failed to charge.
Genestealer B was hindered by terrain, got cover for shooting phase, moved a nassaulted 6 wolfguard killing 4 on my assault and the other2 on his.

Game 2
went 3 turns
Raveners got to assault on turn 2 killed som scouts then got shot up by guys that got out of their rhino.  2 survived and made their leadership (Whew rolled a 4)
Genestealers  A got shot up before they charged in turn 3 and could not put enough wounds on the assault marines to win combat. They ran and then regrouped
Genestealers B assaulted Dente's group and killed most of it.  they broke and I failed to catch him. then continued to chase him the rest of the game.

Game 3
went 4 turns
Raveners moved up and assaulted on turn 2.  Killed that combat and helped genestealers with Celestine for turns 3 and 4.
The genestealer A moved up both turn 1 and 2 got shot up and assaulted by Celestine and Co (thanks FNP for giving me saves on those bolters) then was stuck in combat for the rest of the game.  I just couldn't get my reneding rolls and he was making the stupid tshirt invlun for his sisters grrr.
Genestealer B moved up in turn 1 and was shot up by some heavy bolters.  Turn 2 I grabed the relic but then was demolished by the 2 leman russ battletanks.

So it seems that the Raveners consistently got into assault by turn 2 where as the genestealers had some trouble getting there.  It seemed that the genestealers had some trouble killing stuff as well since each wound took away 2 attacks in a assault.

With the tyrant and tervigon  my raveners never saw any S8 attacks so it took 3 wounds before loosing 4 attacks.  The shooting attacks also helped to soften their target before going for the kill.   The one thing I didn't have to face was terminiators, I think the model count would help the genestealers if I had to go against them.  Hammers and fists are the death of raveners :) 

Over all I think I need to get 6 more raveners and drop 1 squad of Genestealers.  The way I play bugs getting the charge ASAP is key and it looks like the raveners do that.  Maybe I need to drop the doom or a hive guard brood to test out some ymgarl stealers.. but that is a topic for another day.

Happy monday all.