Thursday, December 21, 2023

End of year review


 So, I know I have been absent this year here on the site but maybe I will be better in 2024. I started to make some Instagram reels of my work but I found that I was kicking myself for not documenting my paint scheme. I had to dig through my image gallery to try to remember what I had done.  So, maybe if I start this up again, I can have something to reference when going back to a line I haven’t painted in a while.

 

What a better way to start back up by reviewing what I worked on this year.  It has been a crazy year with World Eaters, new Tyranids, and more.  Sit back as I walk through the progress on my armies this year.

 

World Eaters



GW wowed me with the awesome Angron model.  I quickly spent my Bazaar money on this army buying him and a few of the new kits. I also got a few of the old favorites to work on but my chosen paint scheme is making it hard to progress.  I was able to finish The Red Angel himself along with a printed brute and daemon prince and a few test models.  I have a lot left to paint and maybe switch the paint scheme up before continuing.  The bone color is just not working.

 

Orks


This year was a slow year for my orks as well with only a single killa kan and the Godzilla beast boss getting some attention.

 

Age of Sigmar


I thought about starting a vampire counts army but using werewolves instead of vampires.  It was going okay but I really didn’t get into the army but I did paint up some cool models like the wolf dragon and werewolf lord.  I also spent some time on the Nighthaunt finishing up some counts as Glaivewraiths and a squad of Harridans.  I have some single models from this army to work on next year so stay tuned for more spookie bois

 

Guard


I expanded my printed guard army with more walkers.  The big model is a Rogal Dorn walker that I sized down from a Baneblade proxy.  It was a little small for the Baneblade and was comparable in armament to the new Dorn so it was a perfect fit.  I also added a Chimera and a Deathstrike missile walker to my army.  I printed out some ogryns and a new Russ but they did not make it to the painting table.

 

Votann


My Leagues of Votann saw a lot of love this year.  I started by adding another 15 warriors to the troops. I also added some heavy-hitting Hearthguard to the mix.  I added 2 more Sagitaur as well as another Hekaton Land Fortress for transporting the men around.  Speaking of vehicles, I added in another 4 pioneers to the army and a trio of Thunderkyn for support. This year GW gave us 2 different limited edition Einhyr Champions that I acquired, painted up, and added to the mix.  Finally, I got a squad of Necromunda Squats to join in the fun at the Tabor Warhammer League’s gamedays.

 

Tyranids


We can’t talk about 40k in 2023 without talking about my beloved Tyranids.  This was a big year for them.  Like the Necrons a few years ago they starred in the new 10th edition starter box.  I worked through that box and then added on both Norn models and a Puppetswar Swarmlord.  Then came the march of the monsters with 2 Exocrines, and 2 Hauraspexes (one printed and one an old armorcast model.)  I also painted up a Malceptor, a Tyrannofex, and a second Screamer Killer. Speaking of Puppetswar they sculpted a cool Pyrovore so I added 2 of those as well one of their Warriors and a Prime model.  As karma likes to toy with me, my local game store had some second-hand Pyrovores.  I decided to fill out a legal set of 3 just in case I want to take them to a tourney. The last tyrranid model I added was the new neurolictor. While looking through my unpainted models I saw an acolyte with a rock saw for my genestealer cults army. He looked so lonely all alone there I just had to paint him.

 
Conclusion

There you have it.  2023 in a nutshell.  Not exactly how I would spend the year but not to bad.  Next post I plan is what I am going to do next year.  New army? New world Eater scheme? More Tyranids and Votann? Hopefully we will find out together.  Have a good rest of the year and I hope to see you next year!