Monday, August 13, 2018

The butterfly strikes again!: Working with Decals


The hobby butterfly has struck again.  This time it was for a good cause.  Last week We talked about Azazel's  August Technical Painting Challenge and I pledged to take a step out of my comfort zone and finally ad the decals for my primaris marines.



When I started this army I decided that their story was Cawl wanted to have his own strike squad of primaris marines at his disposal. Hence the Cawl's Hammer was created. I knew I wanted the admech symbol for their chapter symbol.  I could either get a tone of Tech marine shoulder pad or suck up my fear and do decals.

Since I had a bunch of decals from all the admech units I have and that I didn't want to spend a fortune on shoulder pads,  I chose to use the decals.  I started by watching The Lonely Havocs Decal Tutorial.  He makes it look so easy.  after watching a few times I gathered up my supplies and began.

Step one - Paint a coat of hard coat on the appropriate surface.


Step two - Moisten the decal till it is ready to slide off the paper.


Step three - Slide decal on surface and using a wet brush position in the desired place.


Step four - When dried go back and use micro-sol to dissolve the decal to have it lay flat.  Repeat this step until all parts lay flat.


Step five - Add a layer of mod podge to seal the decal to the model.  This also help bring down the shine from the hard coat.


Step six - take pictures and dance for a completed project!


I was shocked on how well I did my first time out.  It worked like a charm.  Then on the next three I screwed up and tore or folded the decal.  After that, it went pretty well.  I have Place twenty decals now and on have messed up four. 



I still have another twenty painted miniatures waiting for decals.  After that I have another twelve or so to be painted and then add the decals.  So I am far from done.  I am happy that I took on this challenge I have been putting this off for way to long.  IT is nice to have completely finished models off my table,

With that done I will go back to working on my Tank bustas. Hopefully I can get them off my table as well.
Questions? Comments? Pew pew pew!